Sunday, June 25, 2006

Sorry About That...

BREMERTON - "The Kitsap County Sheriff's Office has placed a deputy on administrative leave after the deputy shot and wounded a man in a tree with his gun instead of a Taser, the sheriff's office said.

The deputy meant to fire the Taser and not his gun on Thursday, but grabbed the wrong weapon, sheriff's office spokesman Scott Wilson told the Kitsap Sun.

The deputy has been with the sheriff's office for five years.

...an employee with nearby B&B Auto Repair, described the man's reaction to getting shot.

"He said, 'Ow, that hurt, I'm coming down, I'm coming down,"' Blakeslee said.

The man climbed down the tree on his own where medical personnel were waiting, Blakeslee said."

About a month back I was introduced to one of the local Deputy Sheriff's and we chatted for a time. I asked if the Glock in his holster was a G-23, he affirmed that it was, and proceeded to withdraw his Taser before realizing that he was presenting the wrong weapon.

"Ooops, happens all the time..." he said. It's a far stretch from showing the wrong tool to shooting someone with it, but I remember feeling very good about myself that I had not asked for a demonstration of his Taser.

No comments: