Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Glock 21

But, for as much as I like the G-30, the G-21 would be my preference should I wish to pack .45 heat.

Here's the straight scoop. If you have shoulders wider than your waistline, and a chest that protrudes farther than your stomach, the grip of a firearm is of little matter when trying to conceal a gun. But no matter your endo, ecto, or mesmo-morphication, barrel length can be a pain in the ass. Or leg, to be more precise. I've tried packing a G-21 but every time I sit, the barrel digs into my upper thigh, and it's simply too uncomfortable for warm-weather carry when you cannot hide the bulge under a jacket, or sweatshirt by toting the weapon in a high-carry position. High carry can ease barrel-poking, but no way I can get away with it in Florida so I stash the bigbore until the cooler times of the year.

Those relatively chilly nights aren't all that far down the road, and by early October or thereabouts I'll probably get a new G-21 with a 10 mm conversion barrel. This way, I can go heavy and slow or light and fast depending upon precisely how friggin' paranoid I happen to be on any given day.

And by light and fast I mean 180 grainers @ 1250 fps, or even 165's at 1400. That is into .357 magnum territory and I am growing more and more fond of the idea. Not that there's anything wrong with 230 grain hollowpoints kicking free at 1100 fps or so but I like weapons that are flexible when I'm in the mood to flexate.

But for these 90+ dogdays I'll stick with the G-23 or 27, or one of the shorter barrel GP-100's.

No comments: