Friday, May 14, 2010

McChrystal Sees Progress, but 'Nobody Is Winning' Afghan War Yet

In a blunt assessment of the war in Afghanistan, Gen. Stanley McChrystal declared in a TV interview Thursday that "nobody is winning," though he also pointed to progress in stopping the momentum of insurgents.

The assessment by McChrystal, the top U.S. and NATO commander in Afghanistan, comes a day after President Obama, while hosting Afghan President Hamid Karzai at the White House, predicted the war will get worse before it gets better.


First off, Michael Yon is saying that creepy McChrystal is actually losing the war, and normally I'd be reluctant to agree, because Yon, while performing a vital service, can at times be a tad reactionary. Then there's the dearth of chatter. Someone or some thing is coming down heavy on the fella's who usually pass the word along as to how the battle's are going, because my email sitreps have slowed to a standstill.

From the getgo, McChrystal has creeped me out. One of the things I learned was how to judge high ranking commanders in a snap, and while certainly not infallible, my bad-officer radar gets pegged red whenever I listen to the guy. Here's hoping both Yon and I are way off base.

No comments: